Palak Kadhi, Spinach Ki Kadhi
Palak Kadhi is a tasty side dish. It is spinach cooked with yogurt and besan (gram flour) and mildly spiced. I think Kadhi is one of the most enjoyed dishes all over India. Kadhi is made in so many ways in different parts of the country. One main ingredient remains the same: besan. At my house, kadhi was made thick and with dumplings. In Gujarat, Kadhi is made very watery and taste like sweet and sour soup. I enjoy the dishes which are made using besan. Palak Kadhi has become a comfort side dish for us. It is easy to make and can be served with any meal.This recipe will serve 2.
- 2 Tbsp besan gram flour
- ½ cup yogurt curd or dahi
- 1 cup spinach leaves finely chopped, palak
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 whole red chilies sabut lal mirch
- ½ tsp cumin seeds jeera
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds mathi dana
- ⅛ tsp asafetida hing
- ¼ tsp turmeric haldi
- ¼ tsp red chili powder lal mirch
- ½ tsp salt namak
- Mix besan, turmeric with yogurt until smooth, this should be lump free. Add 2 cups of water slowly and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seeds crack right away, the oil is ready. Add cumin seeds and asafetida.
- When the cumin seeds crack, turn off the heat and add fenugreek seeds, and whole red chili. Stir for a few seconds, add red chili powder. Add spinach and stir for a minute.
- Add the yogurt mixture and turn the heat to medium. Keep stirring until the kadhi comes to a boil.
- Add salt. Turn the heat to medium low. Let the kadhi cook for about 20-35 minutes, stir occasionally. If needed to adjust thickness, add more water. Kadhi should be a pourable consistency.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!