Kadhi, a blend of yogurt and besan (gram flour) with besan pakoras, this is served with rice. This dish is popular throughout India.
- 1 cup yogurt dahi, curd
- 2/3 cup besan gram flour
- 6 cup water
- 2 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds methi dana
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 tsp turmeric haldi
- 4 whole red chilies
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch citric acid if needed to give more sourness to kadhi
- 3/4 cup besan, gram flour
- 2/3 cup water use as needed
- 1 tsp ghe clarified butter
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Mix gram flour and turmeric with yogurt until smooth. Add three cups of water slowly and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seeds crack right away, the oil is ready. Add the asafetida, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, stir and add bay leaves, whole red chilies, and red chili powder. Stir for a few seconds. Add the yogurt mixture and keep stirring until the kadhi comes to a boil.
- Add three cups of water and let it come to boil. Add salt. Turn the heat to medium low. Let the kadhi cook an hour and a half, stir occasionally. To adjust thickness, add boiled water.
- Add water slowly to the besan to make a smooth and thick batter. Whip the besan batter two to three minutes in a circular motion using a spoon, until light and fluffy.
- Fry the pakoras in ½ inch of oil in a flat frying pan over medium heat. (Don’t use enough oil to cover the pakoras; they will be softer and fluffier if fried in shallow oil.
- To test, drop one drop of batter into the oil. The batter should form a ball on the surface of the pan, but not change color right away.
- Place about one tablespoon of batter into the oil. Fry the pakoras in small batches until golden-brown.
- After frying, soak the pakoras in room-temperature water for ten minutes. Squeeze the pakoras gently to remove the water, taking care not to break them.
- Add the pakoras to the kadhi and boil on low to medium heat for ten minutes.
Making the Seasoning
- Heat the ghee (clarified butter) lightly in a small saucepan. Add chili powder and/or paprika (adjust to taste). Pour over the kadhi when ready to serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!