Basil Pesto Sauce
Lately pesto has become one of my favorite condiments to keep. Basil Pesto is an Italian delicacy. It is super easy to make, and you can use it in so many ways, making variations of dishes. My grandkids enjoy pesto pasta, my son's favorite is making pesto sandwiches, and I like salad and roasted vegetables with pesto. Pesto has a vibrant color and brightens up any dish you make. Basil is a very aromatic herb. I have basil plants in my backyard. Because basil is the main ingredient for this recipe, I am always prepared. This is also vegan and gluten free recipe.This recipe will make about 8 oz of Pesto.
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup spinach
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a food processor, pulse the basil, spinach, pine nuts, black pepper, lemon juice, and salt.
- Blend until the mixture is well blended but still has some texture, pausing to scrape down the sides, as necessary.
- Now add the olive oil in the food processor and pulse for a few seconds, scrape the sides, and pulse it again.
- I like to use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides. Pesto is now ready.
- Adjust the ingredients to your taste.
Notes: I usually will make pesto in a larger quantity for later use. Freeze the pesto in an ice cube tray and make sure a few hours later to transfer the frozen cubes of pesto out and place in freezer zip lock baggies. Serving Suggestions: Toss with pasta as a sauce, over baked potatoes or grilled vegetables, toss it with salad, or spread it onto crackers or toasted slices of bread. You will also enjoy these related recipes, Grilled Caprese Sandwich, Vegan Macaroni and Cheese, Zucchini Pasta, Creamy Butternut squash, Creamy Spinach Pasta
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!