Grilled Caprese Sandwich, Veggie Sandwich with Pesto
For this delicious Caprese Sandwich, I have been experimenting with pesto lately and tried out this sandwich after my granddaughter requested me to make it for her. This recipe is super easy to put together on the go and it makes for the perfect lunchbox or tiffin meal.
- 4 slices French bread
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 16 spinach leaves remove the stems
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil loosely packed
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- To make the pesto, combine the basil, pine nuts, black pepper, salt and oil in a food processor. Blend until the mixture is well blended but still has some texture, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary. Now add the lemon juice mix it and set aside.
- Spread pesto over 2 slices of bread, put 2 slices of mozzarella cheese, sun dried tomatoes, and few spinach leaves and cover with other slice of bread, already has pesto.
- Lightly oil on top side of the sandwich, other side we will oil after putting the sandwich in sandwich maker. I am using electric sandwich maker you can make it over skillet. It took me about 3 minutes to grill the sandwich.
Notes: I usually make extra pesto, pesto can be refrigerated for about a week. You can also freeze pest, I like to freeze in ice cube try. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag, then you can thaw only as much as you need later. Use your choice of bread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!