Whole Wheat Dosa (Atta Ka Cheela)
Whole Wheat Dosa is a super quick and easy recipe. It is another version of the South Indian dosa. This recipe is a special one as it was my mother’s favorite, although this was known as Atta Ka Cheela in my home. Whole wheat dosa is tasty with the perfect amount of crispy deliciousness! You can serve this as my mother did, as Roti. She liked to pair it with her favorite side dishes of mint chutney, and Laucki Chana Dal. This recipe will make 8 dosa and will serve 4.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour atta
- 2 Tbsp sooji fine semolina
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds ajwain
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 4 Tbsp oil for cooking canola or vegetable oil
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, whole wheat, sooji, salt, black pepper, carom seeds, and baking soda, mix it well. Add water slowly to make a smooth batter, add water as needed, batter should be pouring consistency.
- Use a non-stick skillet and place on medium heat. Test by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. Water should sizzle right away. Wipe the skillet with moist towel.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the batter mixture into the center of the skillet and spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Starting from the center, spiral outward until evenly spread, about 7” inches in diameter thin circle.
- When the batter starts drying, smear about 2 teaspoons of oil over dosa, and cook till dosa turns golden brown in color. Flip dosa using a flat spatula, and cook for about 1 minute from other side until dosa is golden brown.
- Crispy Whole Wheat Dosa is ready, repeat with remaining batter. Every time wipe the skillet. that helps spreading the dosa.
- Whole wheat dosa is looking nice and crisp.
- You can use whole wheat dosa as eggless crepe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!