Vegetable Navratan Korma
Vegetable Korma is a delicious combination of several vegetables in a creamy sauce. It is often served in Indian restaurants. Korma can be served with any Indian bread or rice.
- 2-1/2 cups chopped vegetables (cauliflower, green peas, carrot, green beans, red bell pepper)
- 1/2 cup chopped fried paneer
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 green chili seeded finely chopped
- 1 tbsp shredded ginger
- 1 tbsp coriander powder dhania
- 1/4 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Mix the shredded ginger, green chili, coriander powder, turmeric, and cayenne pepper with 2 tablespoons of water and set aside.
- Mix cornstarch with milk and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away oil is ready. Add the asafetida and cumin seeds. After cumin seeds crack, add the bay leaves and the spice mixture. Fry for a few seconds until the spices start separating from the oil.
- Add the cauliflower, green peas, carrot and green beans. Mix well and cover the pan. Let the vegetables cook on medium heat for about 7 to 8 minutes. The vegetables should be cooked just about half way.
- Add the bell pepper and paneer. Mix well. Add the milk/cornstarch mixture and cook until the vegetables are tender. Add more milk if needed for more gravy.
- Turn off the heat. Mix in the garam masala, amchoor powder and cilantro.
- Place the vegetable korma in a serving dish and garnish with chopped tomatoes. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations Substitute any vegetable, for example potatoes, cabbage, corn, and mushrooms or other vegetables. Four to six vegetables are a good number to use. Tofu can be used instead of paneer. For the gravy, you may replace 1-cup milk with 3/4 cups cream for a richer texture. Blending 1/4 cup cashew nuts with 1-cup milk will also give the gravy a richer texture. Serving Suggestions Vegetable serve with Roti or your choice of bread or over the rice
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!