Vegetarian Enchiladas (Mexican Cuisine)
Vegetarian enchilada is a popular Mexican dish with my family. This mix of veggies with homemade enchilada sauce is such a tasty treat. This is my twist to the classic Mexican dish, which is very delicious and exotic.
- 6 corn tortillas (I am using white corn tortilla)
- 1 can 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin seed powder jeera
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 cups spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup corn, I am using frozen corn
- 1/2 cup mushroom chopped
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 jalapeno chopped, adjust to taste
For Enchilada Sauce:
- Blend the tomatoes, make a smooth puree. Heat the sauce pan over medium heat. Add the oil and all-purpose flour, stir for one minute until flour is light golden brown. Add tomato puree, oregano, salt, sugar, black pepper, red chili powder, and cumin. Mix it well making sure there is no lumps. Add 1 cup of water and boil over medium heat about 2-3 minutes, sauce should be pouring consistency. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat, add the vegetables. Corn, mushrooms and spinach. Cook stirring until moisture has evaporated but mix should be still moist. Remove from heat add about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce, mix it well. When vegetable mix comes to room temperature add the cheese and mix it well. Set aside.
I am using microwave.
- Mix both cheese and set aside. Heat the skillet over medium heat and grease the skillet generously. Toast the tortillas about one minute from both sides.
- Top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of filling; roll up tightly and arrange, two rolled tortilla seam side down, in microwaveable plates. I prefer to make enchiladas in microwave it is fast and it is easy to personalize how much filling, how much cheese and also mild or hot. Sprinkle enchiladas with about 3 tablespoons of sauce and sprinkle the cheese.
- Microwave for about one and half minutes, cheese should be melted and little bubbly.
Serving Suggestion For best taste serve enchiladas hot with side of lettuce and chopped tomatoes. Also see the recipes for Butternut squash Pasta, Mexican Rice, Gobi (cauliflower) Manchurian,
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2016-04-06 23:42:27.
27 thoughts on “Vegetarian Enchiladas”
it’s not vegetarian, the cheese has enzime and rennet baby cows belly jell
try kosher cheese no rennet
They say corn and whear are gmo , can we use any other flour to make tortillas . If no altenative where cN we get organic , non GMO while corn tortillos
Stove pizza looks yummy Mam .But mushrooms little uncomfortablefor us as we don’t eat .
Great Recipe Majulaji! I made it yesterday. We couldn’t stop eating !
I used salsa instead of enchilada sauce in the filling.
Can u tell me a veg enchiladas recipe without tortillas
Sorry no enchiladas without tortillas. Main ingredient is tortilla to make a delightful enchilada
Thank you soooo much these were beautiful!!!! I wish i could post a picture!
My whole family (and meat eatting husband ) loved them!!
Hello Manjula Aunty,
Where do you use the corn flour in this recipe? Should I just add it along with the maida? Thanks!
no corn flour in this recipe
Very interesting and easy recipes which taste amazing ✨✨
Megha, thank you
Hi, have been referring to your recipes often and love them. My question is: can we use this recipe for preparing smothered/oven cooked burrito? If yes then, could you pls suggest temperature & time. Thanks.
Khyati, oven will be fine at 350 degree it should take about 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted
cant we crush fresh tomotos for the sauce? do we have to use can crushed ?
Deepti, you can use fresh tomatoes
Unfortunately, I am a Quesadilla fan and not enchiladas. Just wondered why you did not use any Mexican cheese………The recipe looks great though, for a spinach lover in me and has inspired me to make quesadillas with spinach next instead of zucchini- mushroom-pepper combination. Thank you, Manjula.
What is sour cream? How to make it at home. .? I don’t have egg’s.
Sushma Jangid, in my recipe there is no sour cream
When you add 1/4 cup of buttermilk (or 1/4 tsp. white vinegar and 1/4 cup of milk kept for 15 minutes to turn to buttermilk) to a cup of heavy cream, mix well and let stand overnight to 24 hours, the yield is called Sour cream. In other words, the cream is fermented on purpose to taste sour. That is sour cream! For a few tips on Mexican cheeses, check out the following website: Kate’s Global Kitchen.
Can you please tell me how to make tortillas at home.
Go to simply recipes.com and search for making corn tortillas. They show you step by step instructions to making these tortillas with pics.. Hope this helps! Cheers! ????
I like cooking. I also like this web too
Jasbhai, Thank you
It is really mexican, and red rice and black beans and all salsas!! Looks so yummi! And with the personal touch of spices. Thank you very much! I´m found on Inian and Mexican cousine and I always thought I is not posible to use vegetables at enchiladas like filling till now. Thank you very much for the recepie!!!
Oh wow I just made some last night. The recipe I used was little different from your and while it was really delicious, I had some issues. I will try with your recipe next time! The only thing I would recommend is using corn tortillas instead of flour. I prefer baking in oven and flour tortillas will get soggy. Also try mixing some sour cream in your filling, it makes it really yummy. I also added a can of Mexican green chilis and used canned green enchilada sauce. I’ll try your sauce next time instead of using canned. Thanks for the recipe!
Sk, You are right, I also don’t like white tortillas for enchiladas, I did use the white corn tortillas
You must log in to post a comment.