Thandai is a very refreshing spicy cold drink with aromatic flavors; main ingredients are almond, milk, sugar and some spices. Traditionally thandai is served during the Indian holiday “Holi”. Holi is a celebration of the harvest season.Recipe will serve 4.
- ½ cup almonds badam
- 1 ½ cup Milk
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp whole black pepper kali mirch
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds saunf
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds khuskhus
- 4 green cardamom ilatchi
- 2 Tbsp rosewater
- 2 cup water adjust as needed
- Soak almonds in water for at least 6 hours. Peel off the almond’s skin.
- Grind black pepper, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, and cardamom.
- Using a blender, blend the almonds into a paste. Add just enough water to let the almond blend into a paste.
- In the same blender add the grinded spices and about ½ cup of water with almond paste. Blend until creamy.
- Add 1 cup of water and sugar blend until sugar dissolve.
- Strain the mix through the fine strainer or cheesecloth.
- Return the left over ground paste to the blender with rest of the water.
- Blend again and extract the liquid once more.
- Discard remaining ground mash.
- Mix the almond liquid, milk, and rose water.
- Thandai is ready. Serve over the crush ice.
Garnish with rose petals!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!