This exciting recipe for Taco Samosa is exactly what it sounds like - a twist to the traditional Samosa. Taco Samosas are delicious and savory with the perfect crisp. When I had my family do the initial taste test, the reaction was WOW! These Taco Samosas should be in your must try list. Not only are they delicious, but will be the conversation piece for your next get together. One thing good about these Samosas is that you can prepare them in advance and simply assemble before serving.This recipe will make 8 Taco Samosas.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour plain flour, maida
- 1/4 cup fine sooji semolina
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
for the Filling
- 2 cups Potatoes boiled, peeled and chopped into very small cubes
- 1/2 cup green peas I am using frozen green peas
- 2 Tbsp oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp mango powder amchur
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp green chilies chopped, adjust to taste
- Oil to Fry
Making the Dough
- Mix the flour, sooji, salt, and oil add water as needed to make a firm dough.
- knead the dough for about 1 minutes to make the dough smooth and pliable.
- Let the dough sit for at least 15 minutes.
Making the Filling
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add cumin seeds as cumin seeds crack, add green peas stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients, potatoes, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala, mango powder, salt and green chili. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, potato filling should be moist not very dry.
Making Taco Shells
- Knead the dough for few seconds. Divide the dough into 8 equal parts, and roll them into balls.
- Roll each dough ball into about 4-inch diameter. Prick each rolled up Taco with a fork in several places both sides, this will prevent Taco from puffing and make them crisp.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. The frying pan should have about 1 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put a small piece of dough in the oil. The dough should sizzle and come up slowly.
- Place one rolled Taco in the frying pan and press with a skimmer, turn and fold in half. Doing this it will become taco shape. Do not press, between the fold there should be space to fill the potatoes filling. Gently do the next one same way do not over crowd the frying pan. Fry them until light golden brown on both sides. This should take about 2-3 minutes. Take the Taco out and place them on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Repeat the process for remaining Taco.
- You can prepare the taco shells in advance and store them in air tight container.
Assembling the Tacos
- Fill the taco shell with potato filling (filling should be hot) and drizzle with chutney.
Suggestions Taco Samosa you can prepare in advance and assemble before serving. Taco shells should be good for two weeks or more. Potato filling also can be refrigerated for 3-4 days just heat the filling before serving. Chutneys I always have ready.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!