Sweet Saffron Rice
The look and smell of saffron rice is delicious and tempting. It makes a perfect dessert for lunch or any kind of get together. You can serve this dish cold or warm.Serves 4 to 6.
- 1 cup basmati rice or long grain rice
- 2 Tbsp clarified butter ghee
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 2 Tbsp milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 piece of cinnamon stick dalchini
- ¼ tsp saffron threads kaser
- 4 whole cloves laung
- ½ tsp cardamom seeds coarsely crushed, ilachi
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp pistachios and almonds sliced or crushed, pista, badam
- 1 Tbsp raisins kishmish
- Dry roast the almonds, pistachios and raisins in a pan on medium heat until the raisins puff and the nuts slightly change color. Set aside.
- Put the rice, water, cinnamom stick, and salt in a sauce pan over medium high heat.
- When the rice comes to boil, reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Let the rice cook for about 15 minutes, or until the water has evaporated.
- While rice is cooking, in a separate saucepan combine milk, butter, sugar, saffron, cloves and cardamom and bring to boil on medium heat, stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the nuts mixture and sugar syrup over the rice. Fold gently into the rice with a spoon gently to avoid mashing the rice.
- Put the cover back over the rice and turn the heat on to very low. Let the rice simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave it covered for another few minutes before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!