Sweet Potato Chaat, Shakarkandi
I have been wanting to make a sweet potato chaat (Shakarkandi Chaat) for some time now. It's a savory and flavorful chaat, which also happens to be a very popular Delhi street food. I have tried to make this recipe many times but never quite perfected it! Last weekend I had the honor of being a guest judge for a cooking contest which was conducted virtually over Zoom! The contest was for the best air fryer recipe. The winner of this contest, Rashmi Sabjur, happened to make an eggplant chaat. While she was discussing her creative recipe, I got the idea of making a sweet potato chaat in the air fryer. Many people ask me how I am inspired to come up with new recipes…well the answer is people like Rashmi, and of course you all, my viewers! Traditionally, sweet potatoes are cooked over coal, cut into small pieces, and drizzled with lemon juice and spices to make it delicious and flavorful. This spicy chaat is also had a nice crunch. Try this recipe out soon! A special thank you to Rashmi for inspiring me to perfect sweet potato chaat!This recipe is also vegan.This recipe will serve 6.
- 1 large sweet potato sliced in thick rounds
- 1 ½ Tbsp all purpose flour plain flour, maida
- 1 ½ Tbsp corn starch corn flour or arrowroot powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup water approx
- Oil spray
- ½ cup bread crumb plain unflavored
- ½ salt
- ¼ black pepper
For Garnishing (optional)
- lemon juice sprinkle over chaat
- chaat masala powder
- green chili finely chopped
- ginger finely chopped
- Use a large, sweet potato. Wash and peel and slice them in rounds of about ¼ inch thick. Keep aside.
- In a bowl take breadcrumbs, add ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper, and mix it all well.
- In another bowl mix all-purpose flour, corn starch, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper. Add the water slowly and make it into a thick batter. I used about 1/3 cup of water.
- I am using parchment paper over air fryer baking tray oil the parchment paper.
- Coat both sides of a sweet potato slice in the flour batter and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Shake off any excess breading and transfer the sweet potato slices to an airfryer baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining sweet potato slices.
- Spray the slices with oil.
- Bake in air fryer for 10 minutes (on 325-degree Fahrenheit). Then turn the sweet potato slices and bake it again for 10 minutes. Maybe you will have to adjust the time and temperature according to your air fryer.
- The sweet potatoes will have a nice crunch. You may serve them hot or at room temperature with your favorite garnishing. I prefer with yogurt and chutney.
Serving Suggestions Sweet potatoes have nice crunch, my favorite way to serve this chaat, is to drizzle with yogurt, little cilantro chutney and top it with tamarind chutney if you like hot and spicy sprinkle with finely chopped green chilies and ginger. I have done cilantro chutney and tamarind chutney recipes earlier; you can find these recipes on my website. You will also enjoy some of these vegan and gluten free recipes: Zucchini Lentil Pakoras, Vegan Rice Kheer (Payasam), Apple Banana Pakora, Bhajia, Fritters, Methi Bajra Paratha (Millet Bread)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!