This is a north Indian dish, spicy, sweet and sour taste all in one. Typically this dish is served with puri and kachori (puri stuffed with urad dal).
- 4 cups sliced squash, I am using acorn squash ladoo
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds methi dana
- 1 tbsp coriander powder dhania
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds coarsly ground saunf
- 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1 tsp chili powder adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp peprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 whole dried red chilies
- 1 tbsp shredded ginger
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp mango powder
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro hara dhania
- Peel and cut the squash into cubes. Save about ¼ of the squash peel and chop them.
- In a small bowl, mix the shredded ginger, coriander powder, funnel, red chili powder, paprika, turmeric, and ¼ cup of water to make a paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready. Add cumin seeds and asafetida after seeds crack add fenugreek seeds and red chilies and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the spice paste and stir-fry for a minute until spices start leaving the oil.
- Add the squash, squash peels, salt, and ¼ cup of water. Mix well. Cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Squash will be semi mushy.
- Make sure to stir gently every 3 to 4 minutes. Check if more water needed.
- Lastly, add the mango powder, sugar and chopped cilantro. Mix everything and cover for a minute. Adjust the salt to your taste.
Tips: I have used acorn squash but any squash can be used whatever is available for example banana squash, butternut squash, buttercup squash etc. The only one I know does not work is spaghetti squash and pumpkin. Suggestion: The recipe is with many blends of spices and great aroma makes a great dish to serve with plain rice. Just make the dish with extra gravy by adding more water on step 9. Serve with Puri, in North India Spicy Squash served with Urad Dal Puri.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!