If you like chips, and you like spicy food, these chips are for you. This is a quick and easy recipe. I have used flour tortillas and flavored them with Indian spice mix. They are hard to resist you will say just one more.
Recipe will serve 6,
- 4 flour tortillas uncooked I am using 8” diameter tortillas
- Oil to fry
- 1 teaspoon dry mint leaves available at Indian grocery store
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala available Indian grocery store
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt available in Indian grocery store
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor) available Indian grocery store
- Generous pinch of citric acid (nimbu ka sat)
- Spice mix, in a bowl mix all the spices really well. Set aside.
- Prick the tortillas from both sides, this will limit chips from puffing and make them crisp.
- Cut each tortilla in 8 triangles, like slicing pizza.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. The frying pan should have about 1 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put a small piece of tortilla in the oil. The tortilla should sizzle and come up slowly.
- Fry them in small batches until both sides are a light golden-brown, this should take about 3 minutes.
- Take them out in a plate and sprinkle the spice mix on both sides right away, before they are dry. This will keep the spices on the chips. Repeat the process until all the chips are done.
- After the chips cool to room temperature they can be stored in airtight container for 1 month.
- For Fried Tortillas If you don’t find uncooked tortillas use thin tortillas.
- Fried tortillas store well in air tight container for a month.
- Fried tortillas can be served in many different ways; a quick and easy way is to make Papdi Chaat. Serve them with Chole Chaat or Matra Chaat and I am sure you can find many other ways to serve them.
- For Spice mix Make spice mix in a big batch and use it like Chaat Masala over the sliced fruits, salad, with yogurt. I am sure you can find many other ways to use this spice mix.
Originally posted 2013-09-07 23:17:33.