Shahi Paneer is a very festive main dish that is creamy and rich in flavor. It is usually a special occasion dish. Shahi paneer can be served with any Indian bread, such as naan or with rice.
- 1/2 lb paneer (approx. 1-1/2 cups cubed)
- 12 cashews kaju
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1/4 inch ginger adrak
- 3 tbsp oil canola, vegetable
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 bay leaf taj pata
- 1 tbsp coriander powder dhania
- 1/4 tsp turmerick haldi
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt dahi, curd
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped hara dhania
- Slice paneer into 3/4 inch cubes. Keep aside.
- Grind cashews into powder-like consistency. Keep aside.
- Puree tomatoes, green chili and ginger. Keep aside.
- Add oil in a pan, over medium heat. Shallow fry paneer cubes till they turn slightly brown. Remove from pan and place over paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Increase heat to medium-high and test the oil by adding one cumin seed. If it cracks immediately, the oil is ready. Add cumin seeds to the oil and as they crack, add asafetida and bay leaves. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder, and paprika. Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes. It will reduce to half its volume and start separating from the oil.
- Add sugar, cashew powder and yogurt. Cook for another minute then add 1 cup of water and salt and bring to boil.
- Add paneer and cover the pan. Simmer for a few minutes over medium-low heat, till gravy is slightly thick in consistency.
- Remove from heat, add garam masala and chopped cilantro. Mix gently, cover the pan and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Shahi paneer tastes best if it is served hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!