Shahi Kheer (Makhana Pudding)
Shahi Kheer, also called Makahana Pudding is a very traditional pudding-like dessert. Makhana is puffed lotus flower seed and looks like popcorn. Shahi means rich and royal. The textures of the nuts, and the creaminess of the milk makes this a super dessert. Adding the caramelize sugar with saffron and cardamom adds a very subtle and unique taste to the kheer.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups makhana puffed lotus seeds
- 1/2 cup rice cooked and mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp almonds blanched and sliced, approx. 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp pistachios blanched and sliced, approx. 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 Tsp cardamom crushed
- saffron Few strands
- 2 teaspoons ghee clarified butter
- Microwave the makhana for 1/2-minute. Makhana will become crisp. After microwave slice them in 2-3 pieces.
- In a heavy bottom pan over low medium heat melt the ghee, add the makhana and sliced almonds and roast them for about 2 minute.
- Add the milk, and rice, turn the heat to medium high, bring the milk to boil. After milk comes to boil lower the heat to medium. let it boil for about 18-20 minutes, stir the milk and scrape the sides occasionally.
- Add cardamom. Saffron and half the pistachios other half we will use for garnishing.
- To caramelize the sugar, in a heavy bottom sauce pan, over medium heat grease the pan generously, add sugar. Keep stirring the sugar continuously till sugar start melting and change the color to light brown. Turn off the heat as soon it comes to golden brown in color. This should take 4-6 minutes. Note: when sugar starts melting it changes the color very quickly and it can easily burn.
- Add the caramelize sugar to the hot kheer and put the kheer back over the low medium heat, keep stirring the kheer making sure caramelized sugar has mixed completely. Caramelizing the sugar adds a unique taste to Kheer.
- Add the caramelize sugar to the hot kheer and put the kheer back over the low medium heat, keep stirring the kheer making sure caramelized sugar has mixed completely. Caramelizing the sugar adds a unique taste to Kheer. Boil for 2-3 more minutes, Shahi Kheer should be consistency of soft pudding. Garnish with pistachios,
- Serve warm.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!