Scalloped Potatoes (Spicy Baked Potatoes) in Creamy Sauce
Scalloped Potatoes are a classic dish with layers of potatoes topped with a delicious creamy sauce! It is the perfect comfort food and side dish to any meal. A little background to the origin to this dish: When I first came to the United State, I was fortunate enough to meet a very kind elderly woman named Helen. She was so kind and helped me a lot when I first came to this country. She was the same age as my grandmother, but she wanted me to simply refer to her as Helen. We became so close that she eventually became another grandmother for my kids when I was away from my family and country. She truly was a blessing to our family. Scalloped potatoes was one of her favorite vegetarian favorite dishes to make for us. She would make this as a side dish for Easter and Thanksgiving. The ingredients are simple, and the dish is easy to make. I got inspired to make this dish while going through old photos. It has been 30 years since Helen passed away, but she will never be forgotten. I decided to add a variation to this recipe by adding some veggies and making it little spicy.This recipe will serve 4.
- 3 medium sized potatoes peeled and sliced about 1/8 inch thick
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- ¼ cup bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup carrots shredded
- 1 Tbsp green chilies finely chopped (this is optional)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
For white sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour plain flour, maida
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp red chili flakes adjust to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- In a small frying pan, heat the oil over low medium heat and add all-purpose flour, stir for a minute. Add black pepper, chili flakes, and salt, stir for another minute.
- Reduce heat to low. While stirring slowly add cream making sure there are no lumps. Add a small amount of milk at a time. The mixture will start becoming thick, continue adding a little milk at a time whisking until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (190 degrees C). I am using 5” x 7” Pyrex pan to make the Scalloped Potatoes. Grease the pan.
- layer the potatoes evenly in the pan.
- Pour cream sauce just covering the potatoes. Now spread the vegetables, bell pepper, carrots, green peas, corn, green chilies and cilantro. Layer the potato again over the vegetables. Pour the sauce making sure covering the potatoes evenly.
- Bake it for about 40-45 minutes, potatoes should be tender and should be brown from the top.
- Scalloped Potatoes are ready, nice color. Enjoy.
I prefer Yukon gold or Russet potatoes for this dish. You can use different vegetables of your choice, like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, spinach. You might also like Vegetable Kathi Rolls, Mexican Bhel, Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2020-03-25 12:38:24.
4 thoughts on “Scalloped Potatoes (Spicy Baked Potatoes) in Creamy Sauce”
Manjula ma’am the scalloped potatoes taste perfect but the white sauce appears runny. Will it thicken upon cooling? I used a cup of milk & a dollop of cream instead of 1.5cups of milk
Your Kindness made my day
Thank you to the most charming lady.
Best wishes from France.
Chocotina, thank you, you made my day
You must log in to post a comment.