Sabudana (Tapicoa) Bhel, Chaat
Sabudana Bhel this is a delicious appetizer or also can be served with afternoon tea. Sabudana Bhel or I like to call this chaat is an elegant looking dish, that will sure to impress all your family and friends.
For Sabudana - Tapioca
- 1/2 cup sabudana tapioca, use the larger pearls
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds rai
- pinch turmeric haldi
- 1/2 tsp salt
- few drops lemon juice
- 1 cup potato boiled peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup peanuts roasted and crushed
- 2 tsp chaat masala
- 1/2 cup aloo lacha check existing recipe
- 1/4 cup tamarind chutney check existing recipe
- Wash sabudana (tapioca) changing the water 2-3 time and soak with one cup of water, soak 8 hours or more. Sabudana will become all most four time in volume and will be soft.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds after seeds crack add turmeric, lower the heat to low. Add sabudana, and salt. Keep stir frying until sabudana becomes translucence, looks like pearls. This should take about another 4-5 minutes. Stir gently and making sure tapioca doesn’t get sticky and stuck to each other. Turn off the heat, and drizzle 3-4 drops of lemon juice and stir.
- Transfer sabudana to a wide bowl stir for few minutes with fork making sure sabudana pearls are separated and not sticky. Serve the sabudana at room temperature.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and green chilies to cubed potatoes, mix it well and set aside.
- Assembling the Sabudana Bhel, in a serving platter spread the cooked sabudana, sprinkle the roasted peanuts, over peanuts sprinkle the potatoes, then aloo lacha, some more peanuts and drizzle the chutney.
Suggestion, this is a easy recipe, you can prepare every thing in advance, cooked sabudana can be refrigerator for up to a week. Aloo Lacha and tamarind chutney can be stored for months.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
2 thoughts on “Sabudana (Tapicoa) Bhel, Chaat”
The first thing that comes to our mind when we hear sabudana is either khichdi or cutlets, but this recipe is really unique and it looks yummy. I have some guests visiting me next week. This unique chaat would be a great idea. Thanks for sharing this.
You must log in to post a comment.