Roasted Caramelize Makhana Snack
Caramelized Makhana is the perfect snack for all ages, especially kids. My grandchildren absolutely love this recipe and my youngest even calls it kettle corn. This is not just quick and easy to make, but it is a healthy snack because it is high in protein and has many nutritional values. This recipe is the perfect tea time munchie and will be a hit with everyone who enjoys a sweet and crunchy snack.
- 4 cup makhana fox nuts, lotus seeds
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp almonds sliced
- Use a larger frying pan then you think you need, because it makes it easy to roast otherwise when you are roasting makhana will be dropping all over. Use heavy frying pan.
- In a frying pan take the makhana and drizzle with the oil, (save 2 teaspoons of oil and set this oil aside we will use later) and sprinkle the salt. Using your fingers mix it well until makhanas are coated well with oil and salt.
- Open the heat to medium low keep stirring till they are very light gold this should take about 6-8 minutes, try one makhana to make sure they are crispy. As they cool of, they will become crunchier.
- Remove them from frying pan, you will notice most of the salt will remain in the frying pan, wipe the frying pan, we will use it again.
- Use the same pan, heat over low medium heat. Put the oil we have saved in the frying pan, and sprinkle all the sugar, wait till you see sugar has start melting, now stir the sugar and keep stirring till the sugar has melted turn off the heat quick otherwise sugar will burn.
- Add almonds and roasted makhana, keep stirring till all the makhanas are coated with caramelize sugar and almonds. Spread it over non-stick surface and with spatula keep separating or separate with your fingers. Carnalized Makhanas are ready.
Notes: keep them air tight container they will stay good for month or more. I make them for holiday season, because they also make good homemade gift.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!