Rhubarb Chutney; you may call this relish or pickle. This Sweet and sour chutney with blend of spices taste grate and very addicting. This is a great complement to any meal.
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 4 green chili cut into ½-inch pieces (if preferred mild recipe remove the seeds from chilies)
- Approx. 2 tablespoons ginger thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1-1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika for the color, optional
- 1/3 cup sugar adjust to taste
- In a blender coarsely ground the fenugreek, coriander, fennel and cumin seeds.
- In a saucepan put the oil and add all the ingredients except the sugar. Mix it well.
- Cook over medium heat until the rhubarbs are tender. This should take about 4-6 minutes. Stir the rhubarb occasionally to make sure it does not burn from the bottom.
- Add sugar to the rhubarb and cook on low heat for about 1 minutes after rhubarb start sizzling.
- You can refrigerate this chutney for about 6 weeks.
Originally posted 2012-04-08 12:19:37.