Rava Dosa (South Indian Delicacy)
Rava Dosa is a popular South Indian thin and crispy flat bread. It looks like thin crepes. This is a mouthwatering culinary delight. Rava Dosas are quick to make. They can be served as a snack or part of a main meal.
- 1/2 cup fine sooji samolina
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose-flour plain flour, maida
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped hara dhania
- 1 green finely chopped
- 2 cupa watwer approximately
- Mix all three flours including semolina, rice flour and all-purpose flour. Make a thin batter using little water at a time and avoiding any lumps. Batter should have pouring consistency like buttermilk.
- Add all other ingredients to the batter including cumin seeds, salt, asafetida, cilantro and green chili. Mix it well. Let the batter stand for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the skillet on medium high. To check if skillet is ready sprinkle few drops of water over skillet water should sizzle. Wipe the skillet with few drops of oil.
- Pour the batter with ladle on the skillet in a circular motion starting from the periphery to the center. Keep pouring the batter till it covers the whole skillet.
- Note: pour the batter on the skillet from about 3 to 4 inches height. Don’t try to spread the batter otherwise the characteristic and appearance of Rava Dosa will not come. Rava Dosa should have holes like swiss cheese or have lacy look.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of oil around dosa.
- Cook Dosa over medium heat for about 2 minutes or until Dosa becomes golden brown. Then turn the Dosa using spatula.
- Let Dosa cook for about 1 minute from other side. Dosa will be golden brown on one side and light color on other side. Thin and crispy Rava Dosa is ready to serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!