Rajma Chawal (Kidney Bean Curry)
Rajma chawal (kidney beans with rice) is a great combination. This is a complete meal in itself.Serves 4.
- 1 ½ cup kidney beans rajma
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 1 green chili
- 3 Tbsp oil
- Generous pinch of asafetida hing
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 2 Tbsp coriander powder dhania
- ½ tsp turmeric haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder adjust to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 medium chopped tomato for garnishing
- Wash and soak the kidney beans in about six cups of water for at least 6 hours (the beans will double in volume ).
- Cut the tomatoes in small pieces, green chili slice lengthwise and take out the seeds (if you prefer mild). Blend tomatoes, green chili, and ginger and make a paste.
- Heat the oil in pressure cooker. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed. If the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add asafetida and cumin seeds, as the cumin seeds crack add tomato paste, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, black pepper, and paprika.
- Stir-fry for two to three minutes, until the oil begins to separate from the mixture. Add kidney beans, salt, and three cups of water. Close the cooker. Cook over medium high heat.
- When pressure cooker starts to steam, turn the heat down to medium and cook twelve minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Wait until the steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker.
- Kidney beans should be soft and tender. Stir and mash them gently. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!