Raj Kachori is a spicy chaat bowl filled with delicious condiments. It has refreshing flavors and makes for a unique food experience. Guests will have fun filling their own Kachories according to their taste palette. Served as a snack or appetizer, Raj Kachories make a beautiful presentation and are thoroughly enjoyed by just about everyone.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour plain flour, maida
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup approx. lukewarm water
- 1/3 cup besan gram flour
- 1/8 tsp asafetide hing
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 1 tbsp oil
Condiments to be served With Kachories
- In a mixing bowl add all purpose flour, salt and oil; add water slowly while mixing and kneading to make firm, yet pliable dough. Cover and set dough aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Mix Kachori filling ingredients together, i.e. gram flour, asafetida, salt, chili flakes, mango powder and oil. Set aside.
- Knead dough for a minute and divide into 12 equal parts.
- Roll dough ball into a 2-inch diameter circle and place 1 teaspoon of filling in the center. Seal by pulling the edges together to make a ball. Prepare all 12 kachories and let sit for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place a filled kachori with the seam side up, onto a clean surface. Using a rolling pin roll into a circle, approximately 3 inches in diameter.
- Heat approx. 1 ½ inches of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. To check if oil is ready, put a little piece of dough into the oil and it should immediately rise to the surface without having changed it’s color.
- Slowly drop kachories into the frying pan making sure they don’t overlap one another. As kachories puff up, slowly turn them over and fry on all sides. Turn kachories 3-4 times until they are golden brown in color, which will take about 7 minutes. Kachories should be crisp. If the kachories are fried over high heat they will be too soft.
Prepare Moong Sprouts Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and 2-3 tablespoons of water to the moong sprouts. Cover and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes till sprouts are tender. Set aside. Serving Kachories Gently make an inch sized hole in the center of the kachori. Fill with 1 tablespoon of sprouts, 1 tablespoon of potatoes, 2 tablespoons of yogurt and a drizzle with both of the 2 chutneys. As an option, add a little cilantro, green chili and 1 tablespoon of fine Sev. These add a little more texture and flavor to the Kachori. Tip: These Raj Kachories can be prepared in advance and stored up to 2 weeks in an air tight container, making it more convenient to serve. It is even easier if you have the Hari Cilantro and Tamarind chutneys previously stored.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2011-06-06 21:50:01.