Potato Soup (Aloo Ki Kadhi)
Potato soup is very comforting and delicious. At my home this was known as Aloo Ki Kadhi. This soup was served with Puri which is an Indian whole wheat fried bread. Potato Soup is mildly flavored and easy to make.
- 1/2 potato boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 cup potatoes boiled peeled and cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour maida or plain flour
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds dana mathi
- 1/4 tsp black pepper kali mirch
- 1 bay leave tajpat
- 1 dry red chili broken into 2 pieces
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro hara dhania
- Mix mashed potatoes, yogurt, ginger juice, and black pepper well add about 1 cup of water and make a smooth batter. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Oil should be moderately hot, when you add the cumin seeds they should crack right of way. Add cumin seeds as they crack add fenugreek seeds, and all-purpose flour, stir for 1-2 minutes until all-purpose flour become very light brown.
- Add red chili and bay leave, brake in 2 pieces, stir and add yogurt mix and mix it well. Turn the heat to low medium.
- Add potatoes and about 2 cups of water and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add salt, garam masala and cilantro, lower the heat to low and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
- Adjust the thickness of the soup to your taste.
- Potato soup is ready. Enjoy!
This is best served with Puri (puffed fried bread).
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!