Palak (Spinach) Puri
Palak (Spinach) Puri is a whole wheat fried bread made with many different flavors. Adding the spinach with a few spices makes the Puri very yummy and healthy. These puris can be served with any meal and add a nice green color to any menu. You can also serve them with afternoon tea or even pack them up for a lunch box meal.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup besan gram flour
- 2 cup spinach leaves remove all the stems
- 1 green chili
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 Tbsp oil
Also need oil to fry
- Blend the spinach, ginger and green chili with about 1/4 cup of water, use more if needed.
- In a bowl mix with whole wheat flour all the ingredient except spinach besan, cumin seeds, asafetida, salt, and oil, mix it well.
- Add the spinach paste to the flour mix and form into a firm and pliable dough add water as needed. Grease your palm and knead the dough. Cover the dough and let it sit for 10 minutes or more.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and roll them into smooth balls. Lightly oil the surface you want to roll the puries. Roll them into about six-inch circle.
- Heat at least one inch of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. To check if oil is ready drop a small piece of dough into the oil this should come up without changing the color.
- Place one puri at a time in the frying pan and press it with a skimmer. The puris should puff up slowly. Turn the puris over. Puries should be light golden color both sides.
- Take the puris out and place them on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Repeat the process for remaining puries.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!