Palak (Spinach) Puri
Palak (Spinach) Puri is a whole wheat fried bread made with many different flavors. Adding the spinach with a few spices makes the Puri very yummy and healthy. These puris can be served with any meal and add a nice green color to any menu. You can also serve them with afternoon tea or even pack them up for a lunch box meal.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup besan gram flour
- 2 cup spinach leaves remove all the stems
- 1 green chili
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 Tbsp oil
Also need oil to fry
- Blend the spinach, ginger and green chili with about 1/4 cup of water, use more if needed.
- In a bowl mix with whole wheat flour all the ingredient except spinach besan, cumin seeds, asafetida, salt, and oil, mix it well.
- Add the spinach paste to the flour mix and form into a firm and pliable dough add water as needed. Grease your palm and knead the dough. Cover the dough and let it sit for 10 minutes or more.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and roll them into smooth balls. Lightly oil the surface you want to roll the puries. Roll them into about six-inch circle.
- Heat at least one inch of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. To check if oil is ready drop a small piece of dough into the oil this should come up without changing the color.
- Place one puri at a time in the frying pan and press it with a skimmer. The puris should puff up slowly. Turn the puris over. Puries should be light golden color both sides.
- Take the puris out and place them on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Repeat the process for remaining puries.
Try this menu for next get together with using Palak Puri, Cabbage Kofta, Aloo Gobhi, Boondi Ka Raita, Jeera Rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
12 thoughts on “Palak (Spinach) Puri”
No need to blanch the spinach? I would prefer not to, but many places mention using blanched spinach. Thanks
Aunty what’s the calories on this recipe please?
Auntie, can one make puris without wheat flour? What could I substitute as my son needs a gluten-free diet?
Thank you for your wonderful recipes!
Bee, use besan and add some potatoes to bind the dough.
Will do that. Thank you so much!
nice i will try it
Manjula you are the best! Thank you for your recipes ! 🙂
Tried this recipe today without bean but added onion greens and shallots to spinach ginger and green chillies and blended. Turned out to be great. Thanks Manju la for your great simple recipe. Dwijendra Gupta
Hello Manjula Ji,
I tried this Palak Puri recipe with Allu ki Sabzi and it was too delicious. I love the way you cook and visit your website often for the latest recipes. Thanks for sharing your ideas and good work with us.
How does besan flour help in palak puris? Is it ok if I don’t add this flour?
Adding besan is personal choice you can do without
You must log in to post a comment.