Mohan Thal (Fudge)
Mohan Thal is like a gram flour fudge with a touch of cardamom flavor and topped with sliced almonds. Mohan Thal can be served as a dessert or served with a cup of chai tea. This fudge looking candy is irresistible.
- 2 cups besan gram flour
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter ghee
- 1 tbsp warm milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder ilachi
- 1-1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp almonds sliced
- Melt the butter and mix with gram flour by rubbing between both palms. Texture will become like a lightly rough powder. Keep aside for at least fifteen minutes.
- Add the milk. Milk should be warm and rub the mixture again between your both palms.
- Next put the cream and milk powder in a frying pan and cook on medium heat. String continuously until mixture comes together and looks like soft dough. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Mix the milk dough with gram flour mixture together and stir fry on medium heat until it becomes light brown in color and start giving off a sweet aroma. Tips: stir fry continuously making sure it stays powdery.
- Let it cool and add cardamom powder mix it well.
- In a saucepan, boil the sugar and water together on medium heat until syrup is 2 threads or 225 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Mix the syrup with flour mixture mix well and pour on a 8 inch greased plate. Do this quickly before syrup cools down.
- Mohanthal should be about ½ inch thick and shape it into a square shape on the plate. While it is still hot spread the sliced almonds evenly over the top to garnish.
- Cut the mohanthal into 1-inch square shapes while it is still warm. Serve at room temperature.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2008-12-16 20:52:43.