Dal is a staple dish in Indian meals and, for most Indian vegetarians, a frequent source of protein. This delicious, nourishing dish can accompany any number of different meals. Mixing a variety of lentils gives a more interesting flavor.
- 1/4 cup split urad dal (with skin) (available in Indian grocery stores)
- 1/4 cup split-wash moong dal (without skin) (available in Indian grocery stores)
- 1/4 cup lentil (masoor)
- 1/4 cup toor dal/arhar (available in Indian grocery stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, optional (available in Indian grocery stores)
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
Chaunk (Seasoned oil)
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee); or oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 4 whole red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Combine all dals. Wash and soak in approx. four cups of water for at least 30 minutes. Drain the water.
- Put three cups water into a pressure cooker and add salt, turmeric, and ginger. Cook on medium high heat.
- When the pressure cooker starts to steam, turn the heat down to medium and cook seven minutes.
- Turn off the heat and wait until all the steam has escaped before opening the pressure cooker. Dal should be soft and mushy.
- Mix dal, if needed, and add more water to adjust thickness to your liking. Cook another three to four minutes on low heat. Dal will thicken as it sits after cooking. So leave it more liquid than you want it to be.
- Add garam masala and amchoor powder.
- Heat ghee in a small saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the ghee; if it cracks immediately, the oil is ready. Add the cumin seeds. When they begin to crack, add the asafetida, red chilies and red chili powder. Stir for a few seconds. To prevent the spices from burning, you may add one teaspoon of water. Pour spiced chaunk over dal.
26 thoughts on “Mixed Dal (Mixed Lentils)”
I made this for the first time, It was delicious!
Really easy and husband loves it.
This was FANTASTIC, except a little too salty. Will decrease the salt next time.
Thank you, Manjula!
Super delicious! I make this often, and it is just right as is for my family. Thank you for sharing!
Toriya, I like to hear that.
Too much acid.
Just tasted , and it was horrible.
Was on a quest to find good dal recipie , but just doesn’t came out good . Taste was awful
So easy to prepare, so delicious too. Thank you for allowing us to enjoy this wonerful dish.
I have tried this recipe several times and have loved it every time I cook it thank. Thank you once again for an amazing recipe. Kind regards. Shazia
Wonderful recipes…I tried a few & got complimented from my hubby 🙂 Thank you so very much 🙂
hello aunty…as onion is used in every dish in north india but u don’t do so…what if we add onion in chaunk for daals and other dishes……?
hello aunty.thanks heaps for sharing all this . i always had a craze of learning cooking but u had made it very easy and free of cost… lov u n ur recipes 🙂 feel so gud to hav compliments after i serve them….
i hope you still read these comments…anyway i ask my question..
so can i use only masoor dal and regular lentil instead of the 4 different type?is it going to be nice as well(maybe in a slightly different way)?
or can i add chick pea too to the mixture?I’am asking because where i live its a little bit difficult to take all those different dals.
Many thanks and have a nice day!
You can use masoor dal and regular lentil it will be good.
This is an awsome,quick and healthy dish. Thanks. Tried and received loads of compliments 🙂 I try almost all your receipes.All are nice. keep posting new receipes. thanks.
I tried this delicious daal , my husband liked it very much. THANKS for this tasty as well as healthy recipe.
Namaste Aunti Ji,
Your recipes are amazing i cook one or two everyday,
But with this particular recipe i am struggling with the consistency it is too watery unlike yours, i do not have a pressure cooker ! i did boil and simmer until slightly mushy then i added all the other things but still watery ? help me please
thank you sonita.
I got all the ingredients this time. this recipe is wonderful. thank you very much!
very nice dal
Thank you so much for sharing ur all recipes with us
ur recipes are delicious n very convinient to make.
im very glad to come to know abt ur website !!
thanks a lot
Wht a healthy dal..fully protein rich and delicious with tht flavorful,aromatic chaunk…can smell it…totally amazing…feels like grabbing the dal off the screen ….Yummo
All your recipes are very very useful. Thank you somuch for sharing them all with us.
Fantastic recipe! Will be making this tonight ! Thanks so much !
wat a delicious daal!
You must log in to post a comment.