Mattar Kachori is delicious, fried puff pastry filled with spicy green peas. This mouth watering snack also can be served as part of any main meal.
- 1 cup All Purpose flour plain flour or maida
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup approx. 1/2 cup chilled water
- 1 cup green peas, I am using frozen peas
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp coriander powder dhania
- 1 tsp fennel seed powder saunf
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp ginger shredded
- 1/2 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 1/2 tsp salt
To Make Dough
- Add the flour, salt and oil in a bowl and mix it well.
- Add the chilled water slowly, mixing with your fingers as you pour the water. Do not knead the dough. The dough should be very soft but not sticking to fingers. Cover the dough and let it sit for at least fifteen minutes.
To Make Filling
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add green peas, stir-fry until peas are tender.
- Add ginger, coriander powder, fennel seed powder, chili powder, mango powder and salt, stir fry for another few minutes.
- While stir frying the peas mash them with spatula.
- Let the filling cool to room temperature.
To Make Kachoris
- Take the dough and lightly knead it. Divide the dough in twelve equal parts.
- Take one part of the dough and with your fingers flatten the edges and make into about 2-inch circle. Leaving center little thicker then edges around. Mold the dough into a cup and place about 1 teaspoon of filling in the center. Pull the edges of the dough to wrap the filling. Proceed to make all 12 balls.
- Let the filled balls sit for 3 to 4 minutes before pressing.
- Set the filled balls on a clean and dry surface with the seam facing up. Using the base of your palm, slowly flatten them into about 3 inches circle.
- Heat about 1-1/2 inches of oil in a frying pan on medium heat. To check if oil is ready put a little piece of dough in the oil. It should sizzle, and come up very slow.
- Do not over crowd the kachories in frying pan, fry them on medium heat. After they are puff, slowly turn them over.
- It will take about 3 minutes to fry from each side. Fry until golden-brown on both sides.
- If the kachories are fried on high heat, they will get soft and will not be crispy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!