Mathri (Salted Crackers)
Mathri (Salted Crackers) are similar to salted crisp crackers and are a very popular afternoon snack. Traditionally, mathris are served with spicy pickles.Makes 40 to 50 mathri.
- 2 cup All Purpose flour plain flour or maida
- ½ cup sooji semolina flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ajwain
- 4 Tbsp oil
- ¾ cup lukewarm water use as needed
- Oil to fry
- Mix all the ingredients except the water.
- Add the water little at a time, kneading into a firm dough.
- Cover the dough and set aside for 15 minutes or more.
- Divide the dough into about 40 equal parts.
- Take each part of the dough and make a flat ball shape. Roll them into 2 inch circles.
- Prick each mathri with a fork in 5 to 6 places, so the mathris do not puff when frying.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- The frying pan should have atleast 1 1/2 inch of oil.To check if the oil is ready, put a small piece of dough in the oil. The dough should make the oil sizzle and come up slowly.
- Fry a few matris at a time. Make sure to place just enough mathris to cover the frying oil.
- Fry the mathris until both sides are a light golden-brown.
- Mathris can be stored for a couple of months in airtight containers.
- If the mathris are cooked on high heat, they will be soft.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2007-10-21 14:53:15.