Masala Puri (Spicy Crackers)
Masala puri is a delicious, crispy snack. You can also serve them as spicy crackers or chips. They can be quite addicting so be careful. Masala puri is one of my favorite snack with hot cup of chai. This simple and delicious recipe will make a great holiday gift!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour maida, plain flour
- 1/2 cup fine sooji semolina
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed jeera
- 1/2 tsp carom seed ajwain
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Also need oil to fry
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients all-purpose flour, sooji, Salt, Cumin seeds, carom seeds, asafetida, and red chili flakes.
- Add oil to the flour mix and rub with your fingers to mix it well. Add the water little at a time, making into a firm dough.
- Cover the dough and set aside for about 10 minutes or more.
- Divide the dough into about 40 equal parts, and roll them between your palms.
- Roll the puries into 3 inch circles.
- Prick each puri with a fork in 3 to 4 places, this will prevent the puries not to puff while frying.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- The frying pan should have about 1 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put a small piece of dough in the oil. The dough should make the oil sizzle and come up slowly.
- Fry few puries at a time, make sure to place just enough puries to cover the oil. Fry them until both sides are a light golden-brown. Take them out over paper towel and repeat the process.
- Masala Puries can be stored for a couple of months in airtight containers.
- If the puries are cooked on high heat, they will be soft.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!