Mango pickle is a spicy and tangy condiment. Almost every Indian household has their own favorite recipes for Mango Pickle. It is a popular condiment adds the extra “oomph” to every meal.
Recipe will make about 12 oz pickle.
- 1 large green mango raw pickling mango/about 2-1/2 cup cubed mango (they are available at Indian and Asian grocery store)
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder, adjust to taste (lal mirch)
- 1/4 teaspoons turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tablespoons coriander seeds crushed(dhania)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds crushed(Saunf)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (sabut mathi)
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds/kalonji
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil or olive oil
- Wash and dry the mango, cut in small cubes with skin.
- In a glass bowl put the mango with salt and mix it well.
- Set aside for about 3-4 hour. Mix and by this time there will be some salt water. Squeeze the mango, and save the water, as we will use later.
- Spread the mango slices over dry surface and let it dry out preferably in sun light for 4-5 hours. Mango slices should be little dry but still moist. Note: Mangoes will reduce in volume.
- Add all the spices to salt water and keep it aside.
- Mix spices, water and oil to mango slices.
- Keep the Mango pickle in glass jar with lid on. Pickle should be ready in 4-7 days. Mango slices are nicely marinated with spices.
Pickle is good for months.
Originally posted 2013-05-27 07:29:46.