Makhana Matar Curry
Makhana Matar Curry is a delicious gravy-based dish. This can be a tasty side dish for formal dinner or even a quiet dinner with a few friends. Makhana and matar is made with a spicy tomato and cashew gravy. I like to serve with fresh hot puris or white rice.
- 3 cup makhana fox nut, phool makhana
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup green peas I am using frozen peas
- 2 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup cashew kaju
- 1 Tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 2 tsp coriander powder dhania
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder lal mirch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped, hara dhania
- Heat 3 tablespoon of oil in frying pan over low medium heat, add the makhana and roast them stirring continuously until they are crisp, this should take about 3-4 minutes. Keep aside.
- Blend tomatoes, cashews and ginger to make a pure.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan, test the heat by adding one cumin seed. If the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add asafetida and cumin seeds, as the cumin seeds crack add tomato paste, coriander, chili powder, salt and sugar.
- Stir-fry for two to three minutes, until the oil begins to separate from the mixture. Add roasted makhana and green peas mix it well add about 1-1/2 cups of water. Cover the pan and let it cook for 6-7 minutes over low medium heat, until peas are tender. Note: add more water if you like more gravy.
- Turn off the heat add garam masala and cilantro mix it well.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!