Litti Chokha (Bihari Sattu Litti)
Litti Chokha is a delicacy from the state of Bihar made with stuffed whole wheat dough balls with roasted chana dal and spices inside. These stuffed balls are known as Litties are usually roasted over charcoal but can also be baked. Litties are served with Chokha. Chokha is a dip prepared with mashing potato, tomato or eggplant with spices, but at my home it was always served with Dal Tadka.This recipe will make 8 litties.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour chapatti atta
- 2 Tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- cup About 1/3 lukewarm water
- 3/4 cup sattu flour of roasted chana dal, available in Indian grocery stores
- 1/2 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1/8 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp green chili finely chopped, adjust to taste
- 1 tsp ghee clarified butter
- 1/4 cup water approximately
Potato, and Tomato Chokha
- 1 cup medium size potato boiled peeled and roughly mashed
- 2 medium size tomato roasted peeled and mashed, I have roasted them over the skillet
- 1 tsp salt
- Spices we will use half and half to make both Potato and Tomato Chokha
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice just for Potato Chokha
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped green chilies
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or mustard oil I prefer olive oil
- 2 Tbsp ghee or clarified butter for serving the Litties.
For Tomato Chokha
- To prepare the Tomato Chokha add the spices to mashed tomatoes about 1/2 tsp salt, pinch of black pepper, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 Tbsp green chili. 1 Tbsp cilantro and 1 Tbsp of oil mix it together. Tomato Chokha is ready set aside.
For Potato Chokha
- Add all the remaining spices with mashed potatoes, salt, pinch of black pepper, lemon juice, ginger, cilantro and oil, mix it well. Potato Chokha is ready, set aside.
To Make Dough
- Mix the flour, salt and ghee. Add water slowly to make dough. Dough should be firm but do not knead the dough. Cover the dough and let it sit for at least fifteen minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together except water, sattu, salt, asafetida, turmeric, red chili powder, mango powder, ginger, green chili, and ghee, now add little water to make firm dough, dough will be little crumbly.
- Pre-heat the oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit. I am using a toaster oven or you can also use oven.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and roll them into balls. They will not be very smooth dough ball. Also, divide the filling in 8 parts filling should be little smaller then dough balls.
- Roll the dough balls into 3-inch circle. Place one part of the filling in the center of each rolled dough, and pull the edges of the dough to wrap the filling. Proceed to make all 8 balls. Grease your palms and roll the filled balls gently between your palms.
- Arrange the litties over greased baking sheet about one inch apart and place in toaster oven, for 10-12 minutes, turn them over and bake again for 10-12 minutes. Litties should be golden brown all around.
- need about 2 Tbsp ghee or clarified butter for serving the Litties.
I like to eat these Litties with Dal Tadka and Potato or Tomato Chokha.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2017-02-26 20:40:07.