Laucki Chana Dal (Bottle Gourd, Ghiya, Doodhi)
Laucki Chana Dal is is a healthful, wholesome lentil and vegetable main dish. Having a low glycemic index, it is especially good for diabetics.
- 1 medium bottle gourd (laucki, ghiya, doodhi)
- 1/2 cup yellow split gram (chana dal)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 2 whole red chilies
- 1 tsp ginger shredded adrak
- 1/4 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1/2 tsp chili powder, adjust to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped hara dhania
- 1 cup water used as needed
- Wash and soak chana dal for one hour or more.
- Peel and wash laucki (bottle gourd). Cut into half-inch cubes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add the cumin seeds. When seeds start to crack, add the asafetida and whole red chilies. Stir for a few seconds. Add ginger, turmeric, and chili powder and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the chana dal, bottle gourd, salt, and one cup of water (adjust as needed to desired gravy thickness; bottle guard varies in moisture content).
- Cook the chana dal until soft. About fifteen minutes. Turn off the heat and add the mango powder, garam masala, and cilantro. Stir and cover the pan for a few minutes before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!