Jeera rice is a simple rice dish flavored with cumin seeds. Jeera Rice or Cumin Rice makes a delicious side dish which can be served with any meal and makes it festive.
This recipe will serve 4.
- 1 cup rice I preferred basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 whole dried red chili (sabut lal mirch)
- 1inch piece of cinnamon stick (dal chini)
- 2 cardamoms crushed (ilachi)
- 2 bay leaves (tajpat)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped (hara dhania)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons ghee clarified butter for garnishing
- Wash the rice gently and soak in lukewarm water for about 15 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan moderately. Oil is the right temperature when one cumin seed dropped into the oil cracks immediately.
- Add the cumin seeds. When they crack, add all the spices red chili, cinnamon, bay leaves, and cardamom, stir for few seconds.
- Add the rice. Stir-fry one minute.
- Add the water and salt bring to a boil, and turn the heat to low. Cover the pan.
- Cook 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat add cilantro and fluff the rice.
Jeera rice is ready, serve hot.
Garnish the rice with ghee but this is optional. Jeera rice is very aromatic and delicious. This can enhance any meal.