Zucchini pasta is a whole wheat egg-less pasta, made with fresh ingredients and tastes great. This is a healthy recipe and easy to make. This is actually an old recipe from my grandmother, but she used Turai instead zucchini (turai is from same family as zucchini) and the dish is known as nanua ka petha in Bihar.
Recipe will serve 2.
- 3 cup finely chopped zucchini about 2 medium size zucchini
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Pinch of asafetida
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 3-4 dried whole red chili
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or ghee
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- Approx. 2 tablespoons of water use as needed
- ½ teaspoon of oil to knead the dough
- Mix flour, salt and water together to make a firm dough (add water as needed).
- Knead the dough on a lightly greased surface to make the dough smooth and pliable.
- Let the dough rest for at least five minutes or more.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts.
- Make smooth ball and roll into about 5-inch circle like roti or tortilla.
- Cut them in approx. 1” squares. Set aside.
- Wash and peel the zucchini and cut them in small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds as they crack add asafetida, whole red chilies, bay leaf, and turmeric stir for few seconds.
- Add zucchini, salt and about 2 cups of water. After it comes to boil let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the pasta lower the heat to low medium cover the pan and let it cook for approx. 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add sugar.
- Before serving squeeze lemon juice and add the clarified butter.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
To make spicy add ¼ teaspoon of garam masala.
This is good Vegan recipe if you do not use Butter.
17 thoughts on “Indian Zucchini Pasta”
it is good recipe
Dear Manjula Aunty, This sounds like an awesome recipe, especially, when the weather is getting cold. How do we serve this.? Should we serve with rice ? It already had wheat? Is it served as part of a larger meal, with dal? If so, which dal would you recommend?
I’m eager to try this!
Sounds interesting and tempting.. thanks for the awesome recipe 🙂
very testy recipes
Very nice dish. Thank you. I will try it.
please tell me what is zucchini.
Geeta, zucchini is also called Italian Squash. Depending on where you live, if outside the US, you may not be able to get it. Another green squash may work. Where do you live?
quick one pot recipe. I will definitely try this recipe. Aunty this is new kitchen. Did you remodelled your kitchen or you are at some other place?
this is very surprising with zucchini with indian pasta. i will try . i am from gujarat. in gujarat it is called daldokli. pasta made in dal.
This dish looks good and full of flavour. Manjula aunty, u changed your house. congrats! new kitchen is beautiful.
I will be in Gaya end this year. Is this dish available in Gaya too?
In Gujarat we call this pasta “dhokali ” which can be added in many diff vegetables like squash, green beans etc & also in “dal”
how come it is pasta????
It looks like a gravy.. but when i thought of pasta.. i expected to be some what dry.. dont know about the taste.. Have to try..
This sure is an innovative use of zucchini. Seems quite healthy too. What I liked about it was the use of roti pieces. I am wondering what other vegetables can we use in place of zucchini?
You must log in to post a comment.