Shahi Pulao or Vegetable Pulao is an exotic rice dish that combines spicy and aromatic vegetables served over rice. Rich with flavor, this is an extraordinary dish. You may also call this Biryani. This dish is made in two parts. First I prepare the rice with cumin seeds and cilantro. Then the vegetables are cooked separately with tomatoes, cashews, beans, green peas, cauliflower, and paneer. Top these vegetables over the rice and you have a mouth-watering dish!
Recipe will serve 4.
- 1 cup rice preferred basmati rice available in Indian grocery stores
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter or ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- About 1 inch piece cinnamon stick (dal chini)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
- 2 cups water
- About 3 cups mix vegetables I am using cauliflower cut into small floret, green beans cut into small pieces, bell pepper cut into cubes, and frozen green peas,
- 1/2 cup paneer cut into about 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1 green chili cut into pieces
- About 2 tablespoons ginger cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup cashew powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Wash rice gently changing water several times until the water appears clear.
- For fluffier rice, the rice should be soaked for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Oil is the right temperature when one cumin seed dropped into the oil cracks immediately.
- Add the cumin seeds. When they crack, add the cinnamon stick and stir for a few seconds. Add the rice, cilantro, and salt. Stir-fry one minute.
- Add the water and bring to a boil, turn the heat to low. Cover the pan, and Cook 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Blend tomatoes, green chilies and ginger to make a puree. If you prefer mild take the seeds out of green chili before blending.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Over medium high heat oil should be moderately hot, add the cumin seeds, and asafetida, as seeds crack add tomato puree, coriander, turmeric, sugar and salt.
- Lower the heat to medium, stir the spice paste occasionally when it start thickening add cashew powder and cook until paste become the thick and start leaving the oil from side.
- Add all the vegetables and 1/4 cup of water, mix it well. Cover the pan and let it cook for about 5-6 minutes over medium heat stir few times in between. Add paneer mix and cover the pan, cook for another 3-4 minutes. Vegetables should be tender not mushy.
- Turn off the heat add garam masala and cilantro, stir and cover the pan for few minutes before serving.
- Serve the vegetable over hot rice.
Hyderbadi mirchi ka salan goes well with this Shahi Pulao
Hyderabadi Mirchi Ka Salan (Spicy Pepper Curry)
Originally posted 2015-09-01 23:02:51.
8 thoughts on “Shahi Pulao (Vegetable Pulao)”
I’m in love with your all recipes 🙂 Thanks for sharing 🙂
Akshat, thank you, you made me happy
My rice always stick with each other, they are not as seperated as we eat in restaurants. Why can I get some tip to prepare rice?
Shubhi, use few lemon drops while cooking rice
Very nice recipe. Will try for sure 🙂
While the recipe looks scrumptious and I will sure try this Manjula Aunty, I think calling it Hyderabadi ‘Biryani’ is quite misleading. Its not biryani.
I am in love with authentic Hyderabadi Biryani.Its so hard to find the real taste so easily.Aunty thanks a ton for sharing this recipe.Will definitely try and hope it wont be missing it anymore.
a different and easy to cook recipe – the tastes come out very good
You must log in to post a comment.