Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan
Bagara Baingan is a popular Hyderabadi dish. It is made with small eggplants that are cooked in a rich masala curry. Hyderabadi baingan is the perfect dish to serve to guests with a sophisticated palette because of the mixture of nutty spices.
- 12 small Indian Eggplant if they are not available, use Japanese eggplant and slice them in long 8 long pieces
- 2 Tbsp oil to stir fry the eggplants
For Spice Mix
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds mathi
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds sabut dhania
- 10 cashews crushed kaju
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds til
- 2 Tbsp coconut powder gola
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds rai
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tomatoes cut them in small pieces will make 1-1/2 cup puree
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro for garnish
- Make a slit into eggplants, but not cutting them into half. If you are using Japanese eggplant slice them in 8 long pieces.
- Heat the oil in flat frying pan over low medium heat and stir-fry eggplant rotating occasionally till they are tender not mushy. Set them aside.
- For the spice mix take all the ingredients, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, cashews, sesame seeds, coconut powder and grind them in fine powder. Set aside.
- Blend tomatoes and ginger together to make into fine puree. Set aside.
- Heat the flat frying pan over low medium heat, I am using the same pan I stir fry the eggplants. When oil is moderately hot add the mustard seeds as they crack turn off the heat. Add all the spices asafetida, turmeric, red chili powder and dry spice mix stir for about 2 minutes, all the spices should be roasted.
- Add tomato puree, sugar, salt and about 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste. Stir fry the gravy until mix become little thick and start leaving the oil from sides. Add 1/2 cup of water and bring it boil.
- Add the eggplant spreading in the frying pan, stir gently cover the pan lower the heat to low and let it simmer for about 7-8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Eggplant should be soft and tender not mushy and coated well with the spices. Adjust the gravy thickness to your choice. Add the cilantro stir gently.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2019-01-28 23:49:51.