How To Make Yogurt - Homemade Dahi
Homemade Yogurt tastes delicious and is very refreshing. Yogurt is high in protein and calcium. It is easy to make, you only need milk and the right culture / starter.
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp yogurt or use the dry starter you can buy
- Boil the milk and let it cool down to 110 to 120 degree. You can use a candy thermometer to check the temperature, if the milk gets too hot it kills the bacteria in the culture.
- After milk cools down pour the milk into a bowl that you want to make the yogurt in.
- Add 2 tablespoons of yogurt from previously home made yogurt or use the dry yogurt starter. Package will tell you how much dry starter to use. Don’t follow the other directions from the dry starter package. Mix the yogurt with milk by stirring gently.
- Cover the bowl with a light blanket or folded sheet, and keep it in warm place for about 4 hours.
- After yogurt is set, refrigerate for at least an hour before using.
Tips If you prefer more creamy mix ¼ cup of half & half milk or boil the full milk for about 5 minutes longer to reduce the milk in volume to give more creamy texture to the yogurt. I have tried using starters from many store bought yogurt including organic or Greek yogurt, and they don’t work. I think because store bought yogurt has many artificial additives. Store bought yogurt is more firm because of the pectin. Yogurt can be made using 1%, 2% or full milk and full milk yogurt will have more body to it. There are two ways to make yogurt creamier. 1) With 3 cups of milk use 1 cup of half & half milk OR 2) boil the full milk for about 5 minutes longer to reduce the milk in volume to give more creamy texture to the yogurt.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2010-07-01 23:53:44.