Homemade Cream Cheese
This recipe for Homemade Cream Cheese is an easy recipe to make. Cream cheese is delicious as a spread on crackers, bread and also for making cheesecake.This recipe will make about 3/4 cup of cream cheese.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat, after milk is hot but not boiling add lemon juice. As milk will start coming to boil the curd will start separating from the whey, slowly it will separate into thick curds and whey will separate. Don’t let the milk come to full boil.
- Once the milk fat has separated from the whey, drain the whey using a strainer line with cheesecloth, or muslin cloth.
- Wrap the curds in a muslin cloth, and squeeze lightly, keeping it soft.
- Cream cheese should be soft, add the salt and whip it to make it smooth.
- You can also flavor this to your taste. These are my favorites for flavoring the cream cheese: black pepper, finely chopped ginger, finely chopped green chili, chopped olives.
Use cream cheese to make mango cheese cake, Cream Cheese Sandwiches, Finger sandwiches Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
19 thoughts on “Homemade Cream Cheese”
Hello Manjula ji,
Thank you for the simplest recipe. How much cream cheese (in grams) do we get out of this recipe (from around 1 liter milk)?
Also, can i use it to top my red velvet cupcakes?
Rhu, you can use this cream cheese with any dish where you will like to use cream cheese and I have never looked in the grams.
Manjula-ji, is it ok to use the cream cheese with sour taste or do we need to run it under tap water to remove the sourness before using it on cakes?
Can this cream cheese be used in cheese cake also?
Joel, yes you use this for cheese cake.
Hi! Is this paneer that has been whisked? Is there any difference that’s not immediately evident?
Bindu, you can not whip the regular paneer, if you see the video making paneer process is little different for making cream cheese.
I am very excited to know new things. like this one, i was unaware of cream cheese. So thank you for the blog.
I like your recipes i try so manyit is very very good thanks
Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe.
Hello, and thank you for this video. Please, do we need to rinse the cheese curds after separating them from the whey?
Rebecca Haines, Not Necessary
Don’t forget to save the whey up from all of your cheese making and reheat to make ricotta cheese! The whey also has many nutritional benefits as well for us and plants. Thanks for your great videos!
Thank you for your recipes, I really enjoy cooking following your recipe. Can you please post the mango cheesecake recipe using the homemade cream cheese? I will be thankful.
Sanghamitra Goswami, follow the recipe using home made cream cheese it will work. https://manjulaskitchen.com/mango-cheese-cake-egg-less/
Thank you so much. I will definitely try it.
What is the difference bet’ Homemade Paneer & Cream Cheese ?
Because the proceedur very similar !!!
Hello. How is this different from paneer?
paneer will be pretty dry compared to this. Cream cheese is moist and soft. also u whisk it for about 3 minutes, which is not done while making paneer. This is what i understoof from the video and recipe. please orrect me if i m wrong 🙂
You must log in to post a comment.