Gatte Ki Sabji
Gatte Ki Sabji is a traditional dish from Rajasthan. These steamed gram-flour dumplings are cooked in a spicy gravy. This mouth-watering dish will complement any meal. Enjoy Gatte Ki sabji with roti or plain rice. The recipe is also vegan and gluten free.
- 2 cups besan gram flour
- 4 Tbsp oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chili powder adjust to taste
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing, asafetida is gluten free spice, but asafetida powder contains some wheat flour, gluten free asafetida, is available on amazon.
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tsp fennel seeds saunf
- 2 bay leaves tejpat
- 2 dry red chilies
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder dhania
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 tsp mango powder amchoor
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Mix all the ingredients for gatte together and make a stiff dough, using water as needed. You will need about 1/3 cup of water. Knead the dough well, let it rest for 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 8 parts and roll them in calendar about half inch thick.
- Bring about 4 cups of water to boil in a pan on medium high heat. Gently drop the Gatte logs in boiling water. After it comes to boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium low, and cook them cover for about 12-15 minutes’ gate should be floating on the top and will have bubbles all around.
- Take them out from water and save the water, this will be used for making gravy. let them cool for few minutes and cut them in about half inch-thick slices.
- Heat the oil in heavy bottom pan over medium heat, add fennel seeds, asafetida, red chilies stir and add Gattes, stir-fry for about 4-5 minutes until they are light golden brown.
- Add bay leaves, chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, and salt, stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the water we saved, and Kasuri Methi boil for about 10 minutes over low medium heat, covered. This is the time add more water to adjust the thickness of the gravy. As Gatte Ki Sabji will cool off it gravy will become thick.
- Turn off the heat and add mango powder, and garam masala, Gatte Ki Sabji is ready to serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!