Dhokla (Suji – Semolina)
Dhokla is a traditional gujrati snack, spongy and fluffy in texture. Dhokla makes a great appetizer.Makes about 20 pieces.
- 1 cup sooji semolina flour available in Indian grocery store
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup water as needed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of turmeric haldi
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro hara dhania finely chopped
- 1 tsp Eno’s fruit salt Sodium Bicarbonate and Citric Acid, available in Indian grocery stores)
- 2 Tbsp of oil
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seed
- 2 green peppers chopped into about 1/4 inch pieces
Utensils to steam Dhokla:
- Dhokla maker or if you don’t have that, use all three of the following:
- Covered pan large enough to hold your cake rack
- Round cake-cooling rack
- Round 9” cake pan
- Mix the sooji, yogurt, salt, turmeric, lemon juice, green chili, and cilantro together and make a smooth batter of a pouring consistency. Add water if needed.
- Allow batter to rest 15 to 20 minutes.
- Grease the cake pan and set aside.
- Set the cake rack in the pan. Add one cup of water, just enough to touch the cake rack, and bring to a boil. This will be used to steam the dhokla.
- When the water boils, turn down the heat to medium.
- Add fruit salt (Eno) to the batter just before baking. The batter will foam up.
- Quickly pour batter into a greased cake pan. Place the cake pan into the saucepan over the cake rack. Cover the pan. Steam for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Check Dhokla with a knife. If the knife comes out clean, dhokla is ready. Turn off the heat and remove the cake pan from the saucepan.
- Let it cool to room temperature, then cut into triangle or square shapes.
Prepare the seasoning:
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Test the heat by adding few mustard seeds to the oil; if the seeds crack right away, the oil is ready.
- Add mustard seeds after seeds cracke add green chili stir for few seconds.
- Drizzle the seasoning over the dhokla. Serve with Hari cilantro chutney.
Dhokla can be refrigerated for a few days. Before serving, heat Dhokla in a microwave or heat over steam.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!