This recipe is for Date and Nut Ladoo, or Candy as we call them at home. For my grand kids they are like candy and they love it. Adapted from my friend Renu’s recipe, when I tried this ladoo for the first time, I said WOW. I could not believe the main ingredient was only dates. That surprised me because I am not very fond of dates. This was the first time I have tasted date ladoos flavored with coco powder. This is a quick and easy recipe. Like me if you are using roasted nuts then there is a little or no cooking involved? This is a guilt free healthy snack (no sugar or butter added). Date ladoos are also vegan and gluten free. It’s hard to eat just one!
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
This recipe will make 18 ladoos.
- 1 cup dates pitted and chopped (khajoor)
- 1-1/2 cups mixed nuts roasted and roughly chopped, I am using almonds, pistachios, cashews, and pecans
- 2 tablespoons coco powder
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oil to oil your palms
- Soften the chopped dates in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Blend the dates in the food processor until they become to the paste, this should take about 10 seconds, add coffee, coco, and salt blend it again until all the ingredients nicely incorporated about 10 seconds. Add the nuts to the food processor and blend it for about 15 seconds. Nuts should be still chunky.
- Remove from food processor, oil your palm and knead the mix into dough, and divide them into 18 equal parts and roll them into ladoos.
- Dates and nuts ladoos can be stored in air tight container for a month or more.
Notes: if you do not have roasted nuts dry roast them individually for about 3 minutes on medium heat and use your choice of nuts.
You will also like to see Date and Raisin Chutney