Dahi Bhindi is a great way to enjoy okra in tangy creamy sauce. Dahi Bhindi is simply delicious, and easy to make. This goes well with Jeera (Cumin) Rice, or roti-paratha.
- 40 medium size okra (bhindi) after cutting them in half it should be about 2 cups.
- 3 Tbsp oil canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 Tbsp besan gram flour
- 2 tsp coriander powder dhania
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 cup yogurt dahi, curd
- 1 cup water approximately
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Wash and pat dry the okra and cut both ends, and cut them in about 1 inch pieces. I have used about 35 medium size okra after cutting, they are about 2 cups.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over medium heat and stir fry the okra till they are tender. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
- Take them out in a bowl and use the same pan for making gravy.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil, over medium heat. After oil is moderately hot add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafetida as the seeds crack, turn down the heat to low.
- Add the besan and stir fry for about 1 minute until it has light aroma, and is golden brown in color. Besan gives the thickness to gravy.
- Add yogurt, turmeric, chili powder and coriander powder. Mix it well. And cook until the spice mix come together, and you should be able to see the oil leaving the sides of spice mix. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Spice mix is ready add about 1/2 cup of water and salt, bring it to boil. Add okra and let it cook for 3-4 minutes, on low heat.
- SuggestionsYou can make so many different dishes using this gravy. Instead okra use potatoes, paneer, green peas, mix vegetables, or any vegetable you have.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!