- Joan created Mushroom, Fruit and Vegetable Pulav. The full recipe is listed below.
- Jaya Rai from Amsterdam created a different version ofVegetable Pulav (also listed below).
Other top contributions are also worth mentioning here. Thank you for participating:
- Lata Narayanan
- Adelina Moraru
- Shruthi Udupa
- Madhurya Karthik
- Richa Agarwal
- Smita Srivastava
- Rosha Hebsur
- Rinku Sharma
- Shamal Pakti
- Rashmi Krishnappa
- Meeta Sarpota
Mushroom, Fruit and Vegetable Puluv
- 2 Tbs. oil or ghee
- 1 cup dried mushrooms pieces , soaked , softened and drained
- 1/2 cup raisins: dark or light
- 1/2 cup cashew pieces
- 1/2 cup diced dried mango, pineapple or papaya
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cinnamon stick optional
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- few strands of saffron, optional
- salt, pepper, powdered cardamom to taste
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup fine cubed cooked sweet carrots
- variations: add some chopped chilies or garlic
- Cover, and soak the rice in water 1/2 hour and rinse and drain well.
- Place rice in pot with 3 cups water or broth, cinnamon stick and or saffron if using.
- Bring to boil over medium heat and let boil uncovered 5 minutes.
- Cover and simmer another 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat, place paper towel under cover ( absorbs excess moisture ) and cover again.
- Let sit ( rice will finish cooking ) while you are preparing the fruits, nuts and vegetables.
- In a large pan or pot, heat oil or ghee and cook the soaked and drained mushrooms, nuts, raisins and dried fruit until well heated. Add the peas and cooked carrots
- Lastly add the cooked rice and stir and combine with a fork.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, garam masla powder a bit.
- Place on platter and serve with desired condiments etc
Jaya’s Vegetable Pulav
- Ghee or oil: 2 tbs
- 2 tsp Panch phoran (fennel/sauf seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds)
- 1 tbsp Onions Chopped (optional)
- 1 cup Carrot (Grated)
- 1 Bunch Spinach (boiled and ground into paste)
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 2 cups Rice
- 4 cups Water
- Wash the rice and set it aside.
- Heat the ghee /oil in a pan, Add panch phoran and let it splutter.
- Add onions, cook till onions are light golden
- Add carrot and spinach & saute for couple of minutes.
- Add rice and sauté it for 2 mins
- Add water and garam masala.
- Let it cook on high till water starts to boil.
- Simmer the heat and cook the rice till all the water is evaporated.
- Serve hot with your favorite Soup or curd