Coconut chutney is a typical condiment that is served with South Indian dishes, especially Idlis and Dosas. It has great texture and a unique taste that compliments many dishes.
- 1 cup coconut peeled and cut in small pieces
- 2 tbsp chana dal bengal gram
- 1 cup yogure curd, dahi
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 2 green chilies,
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 tsp lemon juice as required
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1/4 tsp black mustard seeds rai
- 2 red chilies broken pieces
- 8 curry leaves
- Peel coconut and cut into small pieces for easy blending.
- Roast chana dal on medium heat until it is light brown in color and has a roasted aroma.
- Coarsely grind chana dal in a blender. Add yogurt, green chilies, and salt and continue blending into the paste.
- Add coconut to the paste, a few pieces at a time and keep blending. Add water, as needed, to help with the grinding. (Adding the coconut in small amounts also helps this process).
- Before removing from blender, taste chutney to adjust the salt and pepper. Use lemon juice to adjust the tang to suit your taste. Blend well.
- Heat oil in small pan. When hot, add black mustard seeds. When the seeds crack, add asafetida, red chilies and curry leaves.
- Pour the seasoning mixture over the chutney.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2011-01-20 00:44:45.