Chola Chana Masala, Spicy Chickpeas
Chole also known chickpea, garbanzo, and kable chana, Chana Masala is a cooked in a spicy tomato gravy. This is a very popular, served with Naan, Tandori Roti.
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas kable chana, Garbanzo beans
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp asafetida hing
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 tbsp besan gram flour
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp chopped green chili
- 2 tsp coriander powder dhania
- 1/2 tsp turmeric heldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro hara dhania
Few slices of tomatoes for garnishing
- Drain chickpeas and wash well.
- Blend the tomatoes, green chilies and ginger to make a puree.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away, oil is ready. Add the asafetida and cumin seeds. When cumin seeds crack, add the gram flour and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric, and red chili powder. Cook about four minutes on medium heat. The tomato mixture will separate from the oil and reduce to about half in quantity.
- Add chickpeas, salt, and one cup of water. Cook, covered, for seven to eight minutes on medium heat. Press the chickpeas with a spatula to soften. Add more water as needed to keep the gravy consistency to your liking, and let it cook on low heat a few more minutes.
- Add the garam masala and cilantro. Let it cook for another minute.
- Garnish with thin tomato slices.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Originally posted 2007-01-28 14:38:17.