Cereal Chivda is a great substitute for original chivda. This is a quick and easy recipe to make. Mix of different cereals, mildly spiced makes an enjoyable crunchy snack.
- 4 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1/2 cup corn flakes
- 1/2 cup fine potato sticks
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup roasted chana dal
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 green chili chopped adjust to taste
- About 10 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/4 spoon red chili powder adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
- Heat the oil in a wide saucepan over medium high heat. After oil is moderately hot add mustard seeds.
- As mustard seeds crack add asafetida, green chili, and curry leaves. As precaution cover the pan immediately for few seconds because as you add curry leaves to oil it will splatter.
- Lower the heat to medium low, stir-fry for about 30 seconds; add raisins, peanuts and chana dal, stir-fry for one minute.
- Add fennel seeds, chili powder, turmeric, and salt mix it well.
- Add rice crispy cereal and corn flakes (crush the corn flakes before adding to the mix) stir the mixture gently, add potato sticks mix it well quick and turn off the heat. Chivda is ready.
- Let the cereal chivda cool of to room temperature before serving.
- Cereal chivda can be kept for several days in airtight container.
Originally posted 2011-11-11 15:04:16.