Cauliflower in spiced yogurt gravy makes a very flavorful side dish. This dish is simply delicious and worth trying. You can serve this with any bread or rice.
Will serve 4
- 3 cups cauliflower cut into small florets (phool gobhi)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (mathi dana)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons besan, available in Indian grocery stores
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger thinly sliced (adrak)
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yogurt (curd, dahi)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Approx. 1 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped (hara dhania)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala, available in Indian grocery stores
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add cumin, fenugreek, mustard seeds, and asafetida. When the seeds crack lower the heat to low.
- Add the besan, stir fry for about one minute until besan become light golden brown and become lightly aromatic.
- Add ginger, green chili, turmeric, red chili powder, stir fry for about one minute and add yogurt mix it well and cook for two minutes stirring continuously.
- Add water and salt bring it to boil, add cauliflower cook 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cauliflower should be tender and the gravy should be thick. Adjust the thickness of the gravy to taste.
- Turn off the heat, add cilantro and garam masala and cover the pan for a minute.
- Cauliflower with yogurt gravy is ready. Serve with any bread or plain rice.