Cauliflower in spiced yogurt gravy makes a very flavorful side dish. This dish is simply delicious and worth trying. You can serve this with any bread or rice.
Will serve 4
- 3 cups cauliflower cut into small florets (phool gobhi)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (mathi dana)
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons besan, available in Indian grocery stores
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger thinly sliced (adrak)
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yogurt (curd, dahi)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Approx. 1 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped (hara dhania)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala, available in Indian grocery stores
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add cumin, fenugreek, mustard seeds, and asafetida. When the seeds crack lower the heat to low.
- Add the besan, stir fry for about one minute until besan become light golden brown and become lightly aromatic.
- Add ginger, green chili, turmeric, red chili powder, stir fry for about one minute and add yogurt mix it well and cook for two minutes stirring continuously.
- Add water and salt bring it to boil, add cauliflower cook 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cauliflower should be tender and the gravy should be thick. Adjust the thickness of the gravy to taste.
- Turn off the heat, add cilantro and garam masala and cover the pan for a minute.
- Cauliflower with yogurt gravy is ready. Serve with any bread or plain rice.
Originally posted 2014-05-21 00:01:04.
19 thoughts on “Cauliflower with Yogurt Gravy”
Hello Manjula – can we add other vegetables, like peas and potatoes along with the Cauliflower?
Hi can we use Broccoli instead of Cauliflower?
Deepesh, try and I will like to know the results
Dear Mrs. Manjula,
First of all, thank you for the clear presentation of the recipes on your site. I made this dish for the second time today and it was undoubtedly a hit. Thank you for sharing it.
sheerja, thank you
I have been following a vegan diet for seven months. I am learning Indian vegetarian cooking, but substituting non-dairy items for yogurt, ghee and cheese. I made your Cauliflower with Yogurt Gravy recipe yesterday. Wow! The smell of the curry was wonderful – as was the taste of the delicious dish. (It only made two servings, as we gobbled it right up!) It is now on my list of favorite recipes. Thank you.
Sherida, thank you
Thank you, Manjula!
This is a delicious recipe. Thank you for sharing it.
I made this for a group of people who came over to celebrate my birthday. It was a hit- no leftovers. Even people who don’t like cauliflower thoroughly enjoyed this tasty treat 🙂
This dish looks delicious, can’t wait to try it. Aunty please could you let me know the brand name of the pot you are cooking the cauliflower gravy dish in. Thank you.
I noticed that in the Califlower with Yogurt Gravy Recipe that sugar is called out in the ingredients but is not included in the preparation instructions. I have made this dish a couple times before and have not noticed it before….and do not ever remember adding sugar to that recipe. Could you tell me sugar is supposed to be added to the dish or if this is an error? By the way, I have enjoyed several of you recipes…Thanks loads!!
Terry, I do add the sugar with other ingredients, I like it but you can do without. Sorry for the mistake.
I’ve enjoyed your videos and recipes for some time. This looks wonderful. Please tell me, how do you keep the yogurt from breaking when you add it to the hot pan?
Dear Manjula Auntie
This recipe was fantastic! I made it for a simple dinner tonight and my husband loved it. I like that you can make such a simple recipe so delicious, thank you!
Such a lovely and delicious side dish..
I am a bachelor.This recipe came out very well.Just followed the steps.Thanks!!
Please share much more easy and tasty dishes 🙂
Cauliflower is favorite in my household but have never tried it with yogurt…this preparation looks yummy, will try it today
I have a request. Please when pouring ingredients, scrape everything from the bowls. I have noticed the materials are often left stuck to your bowls and you just leave them as it is without using it fully. Like in this particular video both cumin and ginger were not used fully. There are people in this world dying of hunger and we are wasting food like this.
You may chose not to publish this comment but as long as you have read it, my job is done.
You must log in to post a comment.