Cabbage pickle is a spicy condiment with any meal. This is quick and easy to prepare. Traditionally Indian meals are not complete without pickles / relish.
Will make 2-1/2 cup
- 4 cups cabbage sliced, (patta gobhi, bandh gobhi)
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds coarsely ground, (rai)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds coarsely ground (saunf)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder adjust to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (sarso ka tale) this is my preference but you may use olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together with the cabbage and put in a glass jar. Set the jar in the sun for three to four hours.
- Pickle can be refrigerated for about two weeks.
- Cabbage pickle can also be used as a side dish.
- Use the pickle for sandwiches.
Originally posted 2014-03-26 10:14:26.
14 thoughts on “Cabbage Pickle (Bandh Gobhi Achar)”
This cabbage pickle was excellent – very easy to prepare and delicious! It went well with the Chole Rajma Curry I made for dinner.
Yummy tasty Mysore bonda.i did today. Thank you Manju. God bless you. It comes out so well
Gowriswari. K, thank you
Aunty your receipts are the best .I have learnt so much from them.Thank you sooo…..much
Some pickle recipes call for heating the oil first while others don’t. What is the difference between the two methods?
Chhavi, I know sometimes I have also not used the hot oil but it does work better
Please send me recipes. Love yours.Easy to follow with great result.
What if we dont have good sun to put it out into? will it be ok on the counter for a while or does it need heat?
It doesn’t have to be in the sun, but to get the same effect, let is sit out an extra hour or two. But if not, no big deal.
Cover it with a paper towel and rubber band. Or a clean cloth.
here its winter season and im my home direct sunlight will not come. what can i do? can i do heating instead of that?
You may heat the oil and put all the ingredients and stir fry for 2 minutes, that should work.
As usual your recipe is simple and also tasty. Last time I had tried your recipe, it had come out too well.. Now again I am gearing up try this recipe..
Thanks for the recipe.
why should we put it in the sun?? and do we close the lid and keep in sunlight or with the lid open??? please let me know
You must log in to post a comment.