Uttapam is a popular South Indian dish. Traditionally uttapam is made with rice and lentil batter, which can be a long process. Bread Uttapam, on the other hand, is instant and easy to make. Not to mention it tastes delicious. Uttapam is a thick dosa, or pancake, with vegetables cooked over skillet. It tastes divine served hot and with a side of coconut chutney.
- 3 slice white bread
- 3 tbsp sooji coarse samolina
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour maida, plain flour
- 1/4 cup yogurt curd, dahai
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, finely chopped capsicum
- 1/4 cup tomatoes finely chopped remove the seeds
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger shredded adrak
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped hara dhania
- 2 tbsp oil to cook
- Remove the crest from bread and cut them in small pieces.
- In a blender add bread, sooji, all-purpose flour, salt, yogurt and water, blend to a thick and smooth paste.
- Take out the batter in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients, cumin seeds, bell pepper, tomatoes, ginger, green chili, and cilantro, mix it well. Batter should be thick in consistency add more water if needed, batter should not be too thick but should not be runny.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat and lightly grease the skillet. Pour about 2 tablespoons of batter and spread consistency should be of thick pancake.
- Pour little oil around uttapam. Let it cook for about 2 minutes and turn them over, bread uttapam should be golden brown from both sides and this should take about four minutes. Notes: do not cook on high heat, uttapam will not cook through.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!